To stay current and up-to-date as it applies to online marketing you need to create a listening and analysis mechanism so as to be aware of the ever changing environment. The mechanism will need to incorporate authoritative sources of information as well as a degree of analysis.
Listed below is a selection of the listening mechanisms I use to keep up to date. It’s segmented by category.
Local Search, Local Online Marketing and Geomarketing – You’ll find authoritative forums and other resources listed.
- Local University Forum – A forum for asking questions about local search and learning the latest techniques in the field of local search and local marketing. This forum is a paid membership forum.
- Local Search Forum – Similar to the forum above. Not only can you ask your local search questions here, but in addition you can search past posts for answers to your local search marketing questions as it’s likely someone has asked it before.
- Local Search Pro Community – The Google Plus edition of the Local Search forum listed above.
- Local Search Community – Another local search marketing forum featuring local SEO news, resources & discussions.
- Twitter List Of Leading Authorities on Local Search and Geomarketing– The link description says it all.
- Points of Interest Marketing – Features curated articles concerning GEO and POI marketing.
- BIA Kelsey – Offers research on local media both traditional and online. See their newsletter signup.
- Google Local Guides Community – Useful community to understand what is occuring with Google Local Guides program.
- Google’s Official Get Your Business Online Community – Private community focused on helping small business and other entities bring their basic Google presence inline with best practices.
- Whitespark Local Pulse – Daily newsletter aggregating articles from blogs concerning local search.
Google Resources – Sources of authoritative information on various aspects of the Google ecosystem:
- Google Adwords
- Google Analytics
- Google Maps
- Understanding Google
- Twitter List Of Google Products and Services
- DeepCrawl Blog – For staying current with Google Webmaster Tools (search console)
The Online Environment – Resources pertaining to the online environment:
- Mobile – Curated list on the Mobile environment
- Apps and App Environment – Curated list on the apps and the app environment
- The online environment – Curated list on the online environment
- comScore Insights – Access to a range of studies and other useful top level information. See the U.S. App report in particular
- Nielsen – Provides similar data to comScore, great for top level trends
- Mobile Marketing Association – See their sections on case studies, education, and research and insights
- Think With Google – Knowledge section of Google covering a wide range of topics from consumer behavior to mobile
WordPress – Resources pertaining to the WordPress: